Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Interesting architecture.

The island of Naxos was invaded by just about everybody at some point or another. The most interesting to me was the Venetians and the contrasting architecture that they left behind. In the main town, Chora, high up on the hill sits a Venetian "kastro", surrounded by traditional Greek homes painted white with blue doors and shutters. The castles resemble fortress like structures with high walls, small windows and are made out of stone. Very different from the light, airy, Grecian homes. I think that it was the colour and texture of these structures that drew me to them. It reminded me of the pit fired work that I have been doing. How do I incorporate what I have seen and experienced into new work? Do I just let it percolate for a while and see what happens? I don't think it is something that you can force. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here's to experiences that enrich your life. Ευθυμίες! (Cheers!)

No comments: