Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Opening


Is there an artist who doesn't dread openings? I'm sure that there are, but I'm not one of them. It's not that I'm not a people person. I am. It's just that it's really hard on the ego. What if they don't like my work? Even worse. What if no one comes?

When you live out of town and you have no family to guilt into coming, you learn not to expect a large attendance at openings. The turnout was small, but enthusiastic. While I would have loved a huge crowd, more important was the response from those who attended. I got the feedback to the work that I wanted. I got wow! For a snippet of some of the reaction here's a review written by Cathryn Miller.

Since that day, I've run across a series of articles that I wished I had read when I first got confirmation of my exhibition. Written by Alyson B. Stanfield, the articles, Start Promoting Your Exhibit Now, contain very good and useful ideas on how to get some excitement generated about a show. I will certainly be better armed for my next exhibition!

Have you ever noticed that the more that you learn, the less you know?


I am thankful for knowledge learned better late than never.

No comments: