Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mentorship?


You might ask, what is this Mentorship experience I speak of.

CARFAC Saskatchewan (Canadian Artist Representation Front des artistes canadiens )
offers a mentorship program. In its 10 year (in its present format ), the Mentorship Program seeks to create opportunity for productive and supportive relationships between established professional artists and visual artists wishing to develop and enhance their artistic practice.

In 2004/2005 I was granted a Mentorship with Les Potter, a multi-disciplinary sculptor. I had wanted to pursue the making of more one-of-a-kind sculptural pieces and I felt that this would be the impetus that I needed to propel me in that direction. The pairing resulted in my floral bark series, which saw the juxtaposition of a soft flowing floral on a textured "bark". I was incredibly proud of this body of work.

It was during this Mentorship that I was introduced to the work of Henry Moore. A well-known British sculptor, Moore placed one of his large sculptures in a farmer's sheep pasture, He explained how he enjoyed the changing nature of the sculpture as it interacted with the sheep, the landscape and the changing light. I became fascinated by the idea that a sculpture's relationship to its environment, in particular, light, affects how the viewer perceives the work. Now what to do with that idea?


No comments: